Saturday, September 25, 2010

Let's Get Real for a Moment

Would someone please explain to me why I'm doing this to myself? This running thing is what I'm referring to. I'm sorry that I haven't posted in awhile, but I didn't have much encouragement or anything positive to offer. I still don't. The last 2 weeks of training have been challenging to say the least. Today was the last day of week 8 of my program. It sucked. Things seem to be getting harder everytime I go out and I'm not sure why. I thought by now things would be getting easier. I had a small taste of "easy" and it was fleeting. Is this normal? Is this kind of struggle typical? I don't know, but it's getting old. It seems that every run has started out a bit stressful too. Most recently, before 2 of my last 3 runs I couldn't get my GPS program to find a satellite! Are you kidding me?!? There hasn't been a cloud in the sky and the flippin' thing can't find a satellite...it must be floating over Australia or something. Good grief.

The one word that keeps floating through my mind is "perseverance". I just looked it up the definition on dictionary.com and this what it says:

1. Steady persistance in a course of action, a purpose, a state, etc., esp. in spite of difficulties, obstacles, or discouragement.

Wow, that describes a lot of my life right now, not just running. So, I guess the answer for the running is to take each one, difficulties and all, one day at a time and to keep going.

2 comments:

  1. Girl, I am soooo with you. No, I don't think it will ever be easy. Esp. since we aren't 'runners' but that's kind of like life, right? Ok. So, I'm gonna go try and run now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ann, I love you so much! I couldn't ask for a better sister. This feeling of constant difficulty WILL pass. You just have to endure through it. That's why it's called endurance. Remember my blog about my running mantra, "the power within you is greater than the challenge before you"? Memorize that! Everytime a run starts getting hard or you start feeling discouraged, repeat that mantra. You said you just completed week 8. So, go back and do week 8 again. It'll give your body a chance to "catch up" to all the training you've been doing. I promise it'll get easier for you. You're doing an amazing job!! Just think of the example that you're setting for the kids too.... You're showing them how to find the strength to persevere through the difficulties. You're showing them that if they are willing to put in the work, they can do anything they set their mind and heart to! Love ya, sis!!!

    ReplyDelete