Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Back for the New Year - Its time for some brutal honesty

Happy Hump Day!


Its been awhile since either of us have posted anything, and I've been somewhat mentally compiling a post lately. But who knows how organized this post will actually be, since my brain isn't always super organized.


Its a new year, new goals, new hopes, new everything. I'm not one for resolutions, per se. Just goals. This year, I'm begging myself to for once in my life, just be happy with the body I have. Its a spiritual journey for me, more than anything. I've been convicted in my heart that I need to be happy with what God has blessed me with. He has blessed me with a strong body that is capable of running, He has blessed me with a body capable of growing and carrying a baby, and a body that, despite my insecurities, is exactly how God meant it to be. I have insecurities, but God created this body, so I need to be appreciative of my gift, imperfections and all.


I've started back with my clean-eating diet, or carb cycling. I'm mostly doing it to try to get a few more pounds off, now that I'm finished with breastfeeding. I'm also reading a new book. Its called Made to Crave, by Lysa TerKeurst. This is what her website has to say about the book:


Has food become more about frustration than fulfillment? Made to Crave is the missing link between a woman’s desire to be healthy and the spiritual empowerment necessary to make that happen. Author Lysa TerKeurst personally understands the battle that women face. In Made to Crave, she will help you:


  • Break the cycle of “I’ll start again on Monday,” and feel good about yourself today.

  • Stop agonizing over numbers on the scale and make peace with your body.

  • Replace rationalization that leads to diet failure with wisdom that leads to victory.

  • Reach your healthy goals and grow closer to God through the process.

This book is not a how-to manual or the latest, greatest dieting plan. Made to Crave is a helpful companion to use alongside whatever healthy eating approach you choose — a book and Bible study to help you find the “want to” in how to make healthy lifestyle changes.
Join Lysa and experience all that you were made to crave!


I'm loving it so far... Its very convicting. I especially love the challenging question she asks in the book: "Is it possible we love and rely on food more than we love and rely on God?"


Wow. Talk about a convicting question. As I have read this book, I have felt like Lysa was speaking directly to me. Her statement a few paragraphs later is exactly ME: "I had to get honest enough to admit it: I relied on food more than I relied on God. I craved food more than I craved God. Food was my comfort. Foot was my reward. Food was my joy. Food was what I turned to in times of stress, sadness, and even in times of happiness."


Friends and I have joked around about how I am with food, but I really do have a seriously unhealthy relationship with food. I will sneak food by the handful, whatever is available, when my husband is out of the room... I will stuff myself silly, and then seriously consider purging it. I'll eat when I'm bored, too. I don't even have to be hungry. I'll even acknowledge that I'm not hungry... Food is my "something to do". If its in my line of sight, I'll most likely eat it. My co-workers give me a hard time because I tend to operate by the "out of sight, out of mind" theory. If there are treats or junk food of any kind, I'll usually cover it up with a pillow case or paper towels. I know if I can't see it, I forget that its there. To them, its funny and probably somewhat annoying, but to me, its completely necessary. So, overall, its just not a very good relationship.


Anyway, that's my brutally honest post for the year. On the running side of things... I ran in the Resolution Revolution on New Years Day. It was great... I managed to run the whole 6 miles (you had the option of running 2, 4, or 6 miles), and I had an awesome time of 55:30. I had my favorite cheerleaders there with me, the Hubs and the Babe.


Awesome shot here... this was taken by the photographers working the race... Its like they were aiming right at me.
Me and the Babe, post-race.


And last, but certainly not least... Ann is back in the game! We are in full-on training mode for the Disney Princess Half Marathon at the end of February. The Hubs and I are also planning our family vacation for the week following the race. TOTALLY excited!

Happy Wednesday!

3 comments:

  1. i heard her this morning on KLove. I think they have some info on their web site that i'm gonna check out. great job on the 6 miler!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah Ann! Maybe I'll be able to start back soon!
    I get what you mean about food! I think I'm gonna watch Lysa T's web episode where she talks about the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was extremely happy to locate this website. I wanted to thank you with regard to this terrific read!! I certainly appreciated every little bit of it and I’ve you bookmarked to look at new things you publish.
    Argumentative essay

    ReplyDelete