Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Three sports bras and one uni-boob later...

Yep, three sports bras and a uni-boob later, I've discovered that I can, in fact, run in the mornings before feeding my son. I'd been holding back on the early AM runs and other higher intensity workouts due to breastfeeding and having that fullness in the mornings before Ryder's first meal of the day. But, since my nice Under Armour sports bras have now become too big now that Ryder isn't eating as frequently, I resorted back to my Champion brand bras from Target and just tripled it up. I kept adding layers until I bounced and my boobs didn't. Except, as the title of this post implies, I now have a uni-boob hiding under these 3 bras. Oh well. Its all about give and take, I suppose.

So, since this discovery, I'm now able to get up early and get my runs done early. I was so happy about this revelation that I ended up running 4 mornings last week. On my XT days of Tuesday and Friday, I did my JM 30-Day Shred (Level 3) dvd, and followed it up with a 2-mile quicker-paced run. I even did this same two-phase workout on Wednesday, which was supposed to be a rest day. Then, Thursday, I did a 4.5 mile run in the morning. Granted, these morning workouts and runs require me getting up at 4:30-4:40am. BUT, its such a nice feeling to come home from work and know that I'm DONE with my workout for the day.

Something else happened last week too. That dvd workout that I did, Level 3 contains some plyometrics. So, I don't know if it was this small amount of plyo training, the extra 2-mile quick runs, or purely a fluke (or the quick pit stop back at my house to use the bathroom about 4.3 miles into the run.. yes, I paused my timer/GPS during this stop) that caused the following to happen.. My long run 2 Saturdays ago was 11.25 miles at an average 11:38 pace, but then THIS Saturday, my 11.19-mile long run was at a 10:38 average pace. How in THE WORLD did I manage to knock an entire minute off of my long-run pace?!?! Does anyone have ANY insight to this? I would like to think that I'll perform similarly during my long run on Sunday, but I'm not getting my hopes up. But, if this isn't just a fluke, that means that I could reasonably set a goal for myself of under 2:30 for the half marathon on October 16th, which would be AWESOME.

So, all that being said, I've officially entered into taper-mode for the next 3 weeks. We'll see how that works out, especially given my new-found freedom to run in the early morning. A co-worker of mine had her baby yesterday, and she works nights on the weekends, so I'm picking up a shift this Friday night. This means that I'll most likely rest (or do a quick JM workout) on Saturday and then do my long run of "just" 8 miles on Sunday.

Have a happy Tuesday!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you figured out the bra thing. I always just pumped if I was running and feeling "full". Otherwise at some point I leaked. How's that for TMI? ;o)

    Enjoy the taper.

    ReplyDelete